Recipe: Baked Apples with Quinoa
If you’ve tried quinoa before but don’t have enough ideas for how to use it in recipes, here’s a great sweet treat to try. Baked apples are a wonderful dessert and are incredibly Autumnal, but really can be enjoyed at any time of the year. By baking the apple you concentrate its flavour and is a little kinder to your nutrition plan that a big slice of chocolate fudge cake after dinner. Here, using black and pearl Quinoa Express from Quinola and a couple of spices, fruits and nuts, you will be blown away by the flavour combination!
Quinoa grains are packed full of protein and slow release carbohydrates that will keep you fuller for longer and Quinola Mothergrain has a range of quinoa products, including Black Quinoa, a rare grain containing lithium, which is essential for mental well-being as the days grow shorter.
Baked apples with black and pearl quinoa, raisins and walnuts
- ½ packet ready-to-eat black and pearl Quinoa Express from Quinola
- 2 large cooking apples
- 1 handful oats
- 1 handful raisins
- 1 handful walnuts
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- Squeeze of lemon
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- Knob of butter
1. Preheat oven to 180ºC. Wash the apples and trim the bottoms so that they stand upright and core to leave a generous cavity.
2. Mix the Quinoa Express with the oats, walnuts, raisins, maple syrup, lemon juice and cinnamon.
3. Toss to combine and stuff the cooking apples with quinoa mixture.
4. Bake for 30 minutes, or until the apples are soft.
5. Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream.